History Repeats With Feature Rides for a Young Builder
BUILDING TRUCKS IS LIKE GETTING A LARGE TATTOO, IT TAKES TIME, DEDICATION, PASSION AND QUITE A BIG CHUNK OF CHANGE IF YOU WANT THE BEST. But that’s not where the similarities end. Just as when dedicating your skin to ink, once you build your first full custom truck, you’re bound to get hooked and will most likely end up fueling that addiction with yet another project.
Oscar Quintero, the owner of this massive custom H2, is no stranger to this concept at just 28 years old. In fact, this is not only the second time that Oscar has built an A-grade custom truck, but also the second time that his prowess in the custom truck scene has landed him in the pages of Street Trucks Magazine (his custom Chevy Silverado made the cover of the June 2009 issue). We all know just how much time and dedication it takes to build one magazine-worthy ride, but two in a short period of time takes more than double that same dedication and passion.
With the need to build another truck to fuel his addiction, Oscar set his sights on building a SEMA Show truck for his second go-around in the custom truck scene. The truck of choice: a 2005 Hummer H2 nicknamed Kandy Krusher, a build that Oscar undertook with the idea of producing “one of the baddest H2s” to hit the SEMA Show grounds. This is no small feat, as H2s have been a staple in the lifted world since they first hit back in 2003.
To accomplish this, Oscar turned to companies like Bulletproof Suspension to get the ball rolling with upgrades like the custom 12-inch lift, Kandy Red powder-coated rear 4-link and chrome and FTS gold anodized shocks, while he looked to M&M Autobody and Martinez Custom Paint & Rodz to execute some subtle modifications to the exterior of the truck and a sleek House of Kolor Lexus Pearl White paint scheme with custom graphics. With the lift and exterior paint handled by the pros, this set the tone for a truly wicked platform to keep building upon.
The Hummer’s 6.0L V-8 engine also got a bit of an upgrade in the form of a K&N intake, JBA headers and a full Magnaflow exhaust, while 24-inch Intro wheels wrapped in 37-inch Toyo rubber push the H2’s increased power to the pavement. Stopping power is helped with the Hydroboost upgrade and R1 Concepts brakes.
“MARCHING TO HIS OWN CUSTOM TRUCK BEAT, OSCAR IS PROVING THAT BUILDING IMPRESSIVE FEATURE RIDES IS NOT JUST FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART ANYMORE.”
Rounding out the build is a classic interior featuring leather seats, a colormatched dash and custom-painted interior panels to match the truck’s pearl white exterior. To top it all off, Oscar implemented a killer stereo system with the help of Audio Concepts, featuring a Pioneer head unit and a slew of RE Audio components.
Marching to his own custom truck beat, Oscar is proving that building impressive feature rides is not just for the young at heart anymore. And being only 28, we have a feeling this won’t be the last custom build or magazine feature truck we’ll see from Oscar. Since he’s an avid Street Trucks reader, stay tuned as we continue to get the scoop!
2005 Hummer H2 Kandy Krusher
- 6.0L V-8
- K&N intake
- JBA headers
- Magnaflow exhaust and mufflers
- Performed by Carlos Martinez
SUSPENSION & CHASSIS
- 12-inch Bulletproof Suspension lift
- Dual Bulletproof shock hoops
- Rear 4-link
- FTS chrome and gold anodized shocks
- FTS chrome and gold anodized control arms
- R1 Concepts brakes and custom rotors
- Hydroboost upgrade
- Suspension components chromed and powder-coated candy red
- Performed by Carlos Martinez
WHEELS & TIRES
- 24×14 Intro Torino eight lugs, brushed face, polished lip
- 37/13.5R24 Toyo Open Country M/T tires
BODY & PAINT
- Painted grille
- Painted front bumper
- Oracle Halo headlights
- Shaved roof and side body lights
- LED light bar
- Performed by Angel Maldonado, owner of M&M AutoBody
- House of Kolor Lexus Pearl White
- Kandy red gold and Orion silver graphics by Carlos Martinez
- Painted by Mario Fierro of M&M AutoBody
INTERIOR & STEREO
- Pearl white painted plastics
- Performed by Martinez Custom Paint & Rodz
- Pioneer Double DIN head unit
- RE Audio wiring and speakers
- RE Audio 2 SEX 10-inch subwoofers
- RE Audio ZTX amplifiers
- Custom subwoofer surround and amplifier rack with Plexiglas and matching leather wrap
- Optima red top battery
- Performed by Ray Aragon of Audio Concepts
SPECIAL THANKS FROM THE OWNER: “I want to say thanks to my family for the support and my club Krucial Koncepts for the help getting this build done in just four months for SEMA. Also a huge thanks to Carlos Martinez, Angel Maldonado and Ray Aragon since this build wouldn’t have been possible without all their help.”