All you need to achieve a faux patina finish is an over-the-counter rust activator like this one from Modern Metal Products. This is water-base and will rust naturally over time if exposed to the proper elements. The rust activator will speed up the oxidation process and create a beautiful, authentic rust finish in minutes.
* Rust Converter is perfect for under the wheel wells and cab area. This product stops rust on iron and steel surfaces and converts it into a black coating that seals out moisture and protects against future corrosion.
* At this point you can use boiled linseed oil, not straight linseed oil, to rub a heavy coat into the exposed rust and a thin coat on the rest of the truck. After it soaks in a bit, rub as much as much as possible off the paint as you can with paper shop towels.
* Finally, if you want to coat the frame rails and suspension, Fluid Film is a good solution. This stuff is a spray film that coats and soaks into your metal to form a protective petroleum-based film. It does not dry out like the Rust Converter. It collects dirt over time but a quick blast with the pressure washer and the dirt goes and the fluid film mostly stays. It takes about three cans to do the underside of a short bed truck. It’s only about $12 a can.
* Durable woven fabric with a soft fleece under lining
* Also great for indoor use as it is dust proof
* Lightweight and easy to use and store
* Highly water resistant yet breathable fabric
* Washer safe for easy care and maintenance
* Custom fit for each vehicle
* Folds to one-third the size of typical outdoor car covers